From Epicurious.com and Bon Appetit, contributed by Ellen Meyer
3 cups sugar 1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs 16-oz pumpkin (2 cups)
3 cups flour 1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Lightly coat 2 standard pans with flour-infused cooking spray or grease and flour pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and oil, beat to blend. Add the eggs and pumpkin and mix well. Set aside.
- Over a second large bowl, sift together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Add to the pumpkin mixture in two batches, mixing well after each addition. Mix in nuts, if desired.
- Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until a tester comes out clean, about an hour.
- Transfer to rack and cool ten minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.