From One United Harvest, from Gayle Eubank, Sproutwood Farm CSA, Glen Rock PA
2-3 TBSP olive oil
2-3 cups beet greens, washed and torn (can substitute spinach or kale)
1 c. chopped onions
1 ½ cup Arborio rice
½ cup white wine
Chopped parsley, to taste
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, to taste
1-½ cups shredded beets
6-7 cup vegetable stock (or water), warm
- Heat the oil in a saucepan with a lid and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the rice and sauté for about a minute.
- Add wine and continue to stir while it’s absorbed.
- Add beets and stir, then add 2 cups of the stock, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Uncover and begin adding the stock a ½-cup at a time, stirring constantly and adding more as the liquid is absorbed.
- After the second addition of stock (3 cups), add the torn greens and continue to stir.
- Continue to stir and add stock until at least six cups of stock have been used.
- Serve with parsley and cheese to taste.