Contributed by shareholder Helen Anne Ostrosky, original source unknown
1 bunch kale (cleaned and chopped)
3 TBSP butter, divided
2 TBSP flour (if thick sauce is desired)
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I have used different types such as cheddar, manchego, etc.)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat casserole dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Steam kale until tender (but not over cooked)
- In a saucepan, melt 1 TBSP butter, add leeks and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 TBSP butter, flour, cream and milk and cook until thick, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in kale and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in casserole and top with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden and bubbling (15-20 min)