By Farmer Paul, Fort Hill Farm
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch broccoli raab, cut into 1/3 inch pieces and steamed
½ pound ground sweet Italian sausage (or meatless Italian sausage equivalent)
1 lb. cavatelli or short shaped pasta
¼ to 1/2 cup white wine
crushed red chili pepper to taste *optional
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Parmesan or Romano cheese to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook cavatelli according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, drain the pasta, toss with a little olive oil to keep the pasta from getting sticky and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat about a couple TBSP of olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown.
- While the sausage is browning, steam the broccoli raab stems until just tender.
- Once the sausage has browned, add the onion and continue to cook until the onions soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and broccoli raab (steamed stems and leaves), continue to cook and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and continue to cook until the wine has reduced by half.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce (you can add some of the pasta water if the sauce is too dry).
- Season with fresh ground pepper to taste and add freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese. Enjoy!