From Jane Brody’s Good Food Book
The pie can be prepared in advance for baking.
1 ½ TBSP butter or margarine
1 med. onion chopped (about ½ c.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½” cubes (about 4 ½ c.)
½ tsp. salt, if desired, or to taste
¾ tsp. oregano
¾ tsp. dried basil (or 1 ½ tsp. fresh, finely chopped)
dash or 2 cayenne
1 small zucchini, unpeeled, sliced
2/3 c. evaporated skim milk
1 egg (can omit yolk if you prefer)
8 oz part-skim mozzarella, grated (about 2 c.)
1. In a large skillet, melt butter or margarine, and sauté onion, garlic, and eggplant for 2 min.
2. Cover the skillet and continue cooking the vegetables for about 5 min. or until the eggplant is soft, stirring the mixture a few times.
3. Add the salt, oregano, basil, and cayenne, and stir well.
4. Line the bottom and sides of a greased 10” pie plate with the zucchini slices.
5. Carefully spoon the eggplant mixture over them.
6. In a bowl, combine the evaporated milk, egg, and cheese. Pour over the vegetables.
7. Bake the pie in a preheated 375o oven for 30 minutes.