From Vegetable Love
½ lb. (about 1 ½ cups) dried black-eyed peas
1 lb. smoked pork neck bones or ham hocks
2 dried cayenne peppers
1 1b. Collard greens, stems removed, cleaned and cut into 1 inch strips
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cover the peas in water and soak at room temperature for 6 hours. Drain.
- In a 4-quart pot, bring 3 cups water and neck bones or ham hocks to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the drained peas and dried peppers. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the collard greens. There should be enough liquid to cover the greens, if not add water as needed. Simmer, stirring until the greens and peas are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and pork bones or ham hocks, let the pork cool slightly. Set the pot aside.
- When the pork is cool enough to handle, remove the meat and coarsely shred it. Return it to the pot and season with salt and pepper.