By former farm apprentice Tara Stichter
4 cucumbers, sliced 1 TBSP salt
2 cups water ½ cup vinegar
dash of cloves, mustard seed, 1 TBSP Sugar
celery seed, peppercorns
- Dissolve salt in water; add cucumbers and let stand 24 hours, refrigerated.
- Drain and hold in fresh water 20 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Cut cucumbers and transfer to a clean kettle.
- Bring vinegar solution back to boil, strain out spices and peppercorns, and pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers.
- Let stand 24 hours more in the fridge.