From Food and Wine Magazine’s Quick From Scratch Chicken Cookbook
1 1/3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4) cut into 1-inch pieces
1 TBSP plus 4 tsp soy sauce
3 TBSP dry sherry
¼ tsp cayenne
2 TBSP cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 TBSP wine vinegar
½ head Chinese cabbage (about 1 pound), sliced
¾ cup drained sliced water chestnuts (1- 8.oz can)
2 tsp tomato paste
¼ tsp dried red-pepper flakes
3 TBSP water
1/8 tsp salt
1 to 2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro or scallion tops
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with 1 TBSP soy sauce, 1 TBSP sherry, and the cayenne. Let marinade for 10 minutes.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 TBSP of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until almost done, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.
- Add the remaining 1 TBSP of oil to the pan and add the onion, garlic and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onions are golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 TBSP sherry and the wine vinegar. Cook, stirring, about one minute, then add the cabbage, water chestnuts and the remaining 4 tsp soy sauce, tomato paste, red-pepper flakes, and water; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, cilantro, and the salt; cook, stirring, until the chicken is just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.